Back in the Heart of the Zoo!
One of the most eagerly anticipated exhibits in the history of the Los Angeles Zoo is open!
Meet Our Gorillas
- The term “gentle giant” truly applies to Kelly, the silverback of the family group.
- Kelly was born at the Los Angeles Zoo on April 11, 1987.
- Ever vigilant, he is the perfect troop leader and a very caring father to Glenda.
- During the afternoon he can often be seen playing with Glenda, or taking a nap with his legs folded up in the air.
- The shyest of the bunch, Rapunzel was born at the Cincinnati Zoo on February 20, 1984, and transferred to the L.A. Zoo in 1988.
- Sweet and generous, Rapunzel often allows the other gorillas to take her favorite food items from her.
- Rapunzel has not been much of a disciplinarian to her two-year-old daughter, Glenda, but what she lacks in discipline, she makes up for with love.
- The daughter of Kelly and Rapunzel, Glenda was born at the Denver Zoo on May 24, 2005.
- She is an active and confident little gorilla.
- In the morning she can be seen climbing around her enclosure, running around bipedally, or causing mischief with Evelyn.
- In the afternoon, she loves to take a well-deserved nap with mom.
- Thirty-four-year-old Evelyn is the true superstar of the family group. Born on March 7, 1976, Evelyn was only the second gorilla born at the L.A. Zoo since its opening in 1966.
- Charismatic and incredibly intelligent, she seems to love the spotlight.
- Evelyn is a great “auntie” to Glenda, with whom she gets into mischief.
- While at the Denver Zoo, Evelyn took up painting and has since created several works of art.
- She is easily recognizable by the burst of red hair on her forehead.
- Nineteen-year-old Alafia came to the L.A. Zoo from Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo, where she had spent her entire life.
- Alafia is very social, and as a "gorilla's gorilla," she's very comfortable with other gorillas and can "take or leave" humans.
- She is now on exhibit with the rest of the family group, so enjoy the opportunity to get to know our newest addition!
- Hasani means “handsome” in Swahili, and this good-looking gorilla lives up to his name.
- Born on October 12, 1994, at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, Hasani is older brother to Jabari, with whom he shares an enclosure.
- Keepers say Hasani is a bit more reserved than Jabari, but both are calm and patient.
- As he matures, Hasani is showing signs that he will be a good leader and protector of his younger brother.
- Jabari (which means “fearless” in Swahili), is more outgoing and curious than his big brother, Hasani.
- Jabari was born on November 4, 1997, at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Florida.
- He is patient and calm, but still has a bit of a playful streak.