GREATER LOS ANGELES ZOO ASSOCIATION HOSTS ITS ANNUAL BEASTLY BALL ON SATURDAY, MAY 18, 2019 AT 5:30 P.M.
CONTACT: GLAZA Press
May 13, 2019
Event Honors Legendary Oceanographer Dr. Sylvia Earle, The First-Ever Conservation Hero Award Recipient Glen Curado, and Recently Retired GLAZA President Connie Morgan and Features a Rare After Hours Stroll Through the Zoo With Special Animal Experiences, Delicious Fare from Some of L.A.'s Most Iconic Restaurants, Mobile-Bidding Silent Auction, and More
Los Angeles, Calif.—Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association (GLAZA) will host the BEASTLY BALL on Saturday, May 18, 2019, 5:30 p.m. just one day after national Endangered Species Day to underscore the Zoo’s commitment to protecting endangered species. This fundraiser is critical to the fulfillment of the Los Angeles Zoo’s mission, which advocates for animal conservation and habitat preservation for some of the world’s most rare and vulnerable species, including the California condor, mountain yellow-legged frogs, and peninsular pronghorn. This star-studded event—lauded as “one of the best parties in Los Angeles” (KCBS/KCAL TV News) and “one the most important fund-raisers” (Los Angeles Times)—brings together celebrities, industry executives, city officials, and zoo supporters for a wild night of food, fun, and fundraising.
This year’s fundraiser honors legendary Oceanographer Dr. Sylvia Earle, who is known for her dedication to protecting the ocean and its wildlife; first-ever Conservation Hero Award recipient Glen Curado, founder and CEO of the World Harvest Charities and Family Services; and recently retired GLAZA President Connie Morgan for her 16 years of dedication and service to the Los Angeles Zoo.
Guests of the Beastly Ball are treated to rare after-hours access of the Zoo, where the tree-studded route will lead them past animal encounters, including animal feedings, keeper chats, and up-close interactions. Among the iconic restaurants donating their services for dinner are 1933 Group’s Sassafras Saloon & Idle Hour, Bottlefish, Celestino Ristorante, Cocinas y Calaveras, Delicious Arts, El Cholo – Los Angeles, El Coyote Mexican Café, The Federal Bar, Kabuki Japanese Restaurant, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, La Casita Mexicana, Momed, Pink’s Famous Hot Dogs, Simmzy’s, Smoke House Restaurant, Taix French Restaurant, and Taste Of The Wild Catering at the Los Angeles Zoo. A full bar will be available with intimate tastings provided by Nectar Of The Dogs Wine, Paquera Mezcal, Taste It Wines, and WhistlePig Rye Whiskey. TV food personality Duff Goldman from Food Network reality television show Ace of Cakes will be the Ball’s first-ever Curator of Desserts, overseeing a sweet ending to an epic night.
The mobile-bidding silent auction—also open to those who can’t attend in person— is comprised of hundreds of remarkable items, and Auctioneer Billy Harris leads a live auction with one-of-a-kind opportunities. Among the silent and live auction items are:
- A private dinner where the winner along with ten friends will dine with NBC’s hit show This is Us Actors Chris Sullivan and Melanie Liburd on a multi-course meal prepared by Chef Walter Manzke of République; Chef Antonia Lofaso of Black Market Liquor Bar and Scopa Italian Roots; and Chef Bruce Kalman of Misfits and The Churchill; this package also includes a “special experience” on the set of This is Us
- A Catalina Escape package which includes two-night stay for two at the Pavilion Hotel in Avalon, jeep ecotours of the Catalina interior, one-night stay for two at the Wrigley Marine Science Center
- A Mountain Yellow-Legged Frog Field Mission where in the winner will accompany Los Angeles Zoo’s herpetology staff as they release endangered mountain yellow-legged frog tadpoles into the wild
- Throwing out the first pitch at an L.A. Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium
- An Ultimate Sports package with curated experiences and premium tickets to the Los Angeles Rams, Chargers, Dodgers, Clippers, Lakers, and more
- A Four-Night Stay in a Queen EcoCasita at Playa Viva, a leading Yoga Retreat Resort, Eco Luxury Boutique Hotel, and Treehouse Resort in Mexico
- A Four-Night Stayat the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
- One-Year Membership to The Private Suite and Round-Trip International Use
The landmark Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens, drawing nearly 1.8 million visitors each year, is home to a diverse collection of 1,100 animals representing 250 different species, of which more than 60 are endangered or critically endangered, as well as a botanical collection comprising over 800 different plant species with approximately 7,000 individual plants. Accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), whose members meet rigorous professional standards for animal welfare, the Zoo has achieved renown as an international leader in the preservation of endangered species and a conservation center for the care and study of wildlife. Its responsibility toward wildlife conservation not only encompasses safeguarding the animals in its care but also actively participating in the preservation of some of the world’s most critically endangered species and their habitats. The Zoo’s many conservation successes include having led the charge in saving California condors from extinction and restoring populations of these critically endangered animals to their native habitats.
Beastly Ball tickets are $1,500 per person, with individual and corporate sponsorship opportunities at higher levels also available. The Los Angeles Zoo is located at 5333 Zoo Drive in Los Angeles’ Griffith Park at the junction of the Ventura (134) and Golden State (5) freeways. Free parking is available. For tickets, information about mobile bidding and additional information, call (323) 644-9105. beastlyball.lazoo.org