Title: Associate Editor (Full-time, Temporary, Exempt)
Division: Marketing & Public Relations/Publications
Reports to: Senior Editor
Under the direction of the Senior Editor, writes, edits, and designs key external and internal communications to support marketing, sales, retention, fundraising, awareness, diversity and inclusion, and other objectives.
- Serves as the editor for GLAZA’s monthly member email and digital newsletter, Zooscape, writing, proofreading, and editing all content. Seeks out stories to keep members and other constituencies informed about Zoo animals, programs, and news. Manages editorial calendar and makes assignments as necessary.
- Using existing newsletter email templates and website CMS, produces distribution-ready newsletter. Coordinates with database manager to ensure email addresses are current.
- Coordinates with Web Content Manager to ensure timely distribution of Zooscape. Reviews email and web results data with web content manager to optimize performance. Provides regular reports on newsletter performance.
- Pitches, researches, and writes feature stories for the Zoo’s quarterly magazine, Zoo View.
- Serves as the editor and writes content for the Zoo’s blog and assists the social media team in driving traffic to blog posts. Manages the blog editorial calendar, makes assignments as necessary, and edits all content.
- Serves as editor of the biweekly newsletter for Zoo, GLAZA and SSA staff and volunteers, The Gnus. Writes, proofreads, and edits all copy, lays out, and distributes newsletter.
- Pitches stories and provides assets for use on social media channels.
- Assists in proofreading of Zoo View, docent publication All Creatures, the GLAZA/Zoo annual report, on-site signage and other GLAZA and Los Angeles Zoo printed materials as requested.
- Assists other divisions with writing, editing, and proofreading communications and content such as development and membership brochures, invitations, event programs, educational handouts, video scripts, audio content and other materials.
- Writes and edits copy for the Zoo’s website, particularly the animal, exhibit, and plant fact sheets and other content in the “Explore Your Zoo” section. Conducts research and fact checks as needed.
- Assists with in-house communications through email blasts, fliers, and flier distribution.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write and communicate about wildlife biology and nonprofit management, mission, and programs.
- Ability to handle several projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
- Proficient in desktop publishing systems and software, WordPress CMS, and Mail Chimp.
- Ability to write effectively for digital communications channels and comfort with related data collection and analysis.
- Strong organizational ability and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with vendors, staff, and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods during the day.
- Demonstrated ability to focus on a computer for extended periods during the day.
- Ability to work all GLAZA galas
ABOUT GLAZA: GLAZA is the independent, nonprofit support organization of the Los Angeles Zoo. We manage seven essential departments, including development, membership, special events, site rentals, marketing, publications and volunteers. GLAZA provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties. All employees are expected to be familiar with and adhere to GLAZA’s Personnel Policies and Procedures.
COMPENSATION: GLAZA offers competitive compensation commensurate with a candidate’s experience, as well as a full array of employee benefits including vacation, health, dental & vision insurance, an FSA plan, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, a tax-deferred annuity plan with employer match and contributions, paid vacation & sick leave, and over 13 holidays annually. Additionally, GLAZA’s location is at the beautiful Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens.
GLAZA is an Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to fostering diversity in its staff and Board of Trustees. Applications are encouraged from all persons, regardless of their race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical/physical/mental condition, pregnancy/childbirth and related medical condition, age, marital status or veteran status.
IMMEDIATE RESPONSE REQUIRED: To be considered, applicants must email:
- cover letter
- resume and
- 2 to 3 writing samples to:
No phone calls or agencies, please