Events and Volunteer Programs Coordinator
Title: Events and Volunteer Programs Coordinator
Division: Events and Volunteer Programs
Reports to: Vice President, Events and Operations
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
The Events and Operations Department at GLAZA is responsible for the following functions—all public and private events at the L.A. Zoo, including membership, donor, and fundraising events; the volunteer program, which includes the docent program, general volunteers, student volunteers, internships, and corporate volunteers and community outreach; and management of the concessionaire services. The Events department manages the production, oversight, and ticketing for nighttime events at the Zoo, including L.A. Zoo Lights.
Under the direction of the Vice President, Events and Operations, the Events and Volunteer Programs Coordinator plays a significant support role for the Events and Volunteer departments. The Coordinator is responsible for recruiting volunteers to support events and programs at the Zoo, coordinating special community and corporate volunteer projects, working with partner organizations to enhance all public and community events held on Zoo grounds, assisting with scheduling of event staff, event logistics, and various event operations assistance.
Volunteer Department Responsibilities
- Coordinate volunteer assignments for special events, including public events/programs, membership and donor events, nighttime ticketed events and fundraising events.
- Support Volunteer Office in developing and facilitating volunteer trainings
- Work with Volunteer Office on creating and scheduling Education Stations for events
- Coordinate the Corporate Volunteer Program and community partner on-grounds projects
- Confirm projects with Zoo and GLAZA departments
- Coordinate logistics with corporate contact
- Arrange food & beverage and Zoo admission ticket orders, as needed
- Manage the day-of logistics for each project
Event Department Responsibilities
- Work with Special Events Manager to assist with major public and community events, including Brew at the Zoo, Zoo Friday Nights, Photo Day, Boo at the Zoo and Wild for the Planet, and fundraising events, such as Beastly Ball.
- Coordinate outreach to external stakeholders and serve as main point of contact for breweries, restaurants/food trucks, entertainment companies and other vendors, as needed.
- Assist with contracts and scheduling
- Coordinate timelines and day-of logistics
- Schedule part-time, seasonal staff to work events
- Assist with event operational responsibilities, such as event install and strike, prepare rental orders, deliveries, etc.
- Assist with storage/inventory projects and cart maintenance
Other duties, as assigned
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in event planning, volunteer coordination, or non-profit administration
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively. Strong oral, verbal, written, and online communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate commitment to mission and core values, able to articulate these to internal and external stakeholders. Comfortable communicating with members, donors, volunteers, community partners and vendors.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of GLAZA and Zoo personnel.
- High energy, positive attitude, flexibility, teamwork, impeccable attention to detail, and high degree of initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service at all times .
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and complete work in a timely manner, despite competing requirements.
- Attention to accuracy and ability to maintain detailed records, logs, and other related information.
- General computer literacy and knowledge of various software programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher, Raiser’s Edge, and Adobe Pagemaker.
- Demonstrated ability to use various types of office equipment, such as copiers, fax machines, printers, scanners, etc.
- Ability to understand and monitor budgets and assist with tracking expenses, invoices and payments.
- Demonstrated ability to compose letters or email correspondence which are grammatically correct and properly formatted.
- Demonstrated skills in listening perceptively, conveying sensitivity and awareness, and the ability to maintain confidential materials.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and time constraints while remaining calm and maintaining a sense of humor. Ability to handle multiple tasks with effective follow-through. Demonstrated problem solver.
- Demonstrated flexibility to work an irregular schedule, including early, late, and weekend events.
- Demonstrated ability to work all GLAZA galas and fundraisers.
- Demonstrated ability to remain in a stationary position and focus on a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrated ability to lift forty pounds using proper safety techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to routinely cover Zoo grounds on a daily basis.
- Possess a valid Class C Driver License and satisfactory driving record. May run errands related to Private and Corporate Events.
GLAZA is the independent, nonprofit support organization of the Los Angeles Zoo. We manage 7 essential departments, including development, membership, special events, site rentals, marketing, publications, and volunteers. GLAZA provides a dynamic work environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. All employees are expected to be familiar with and adhere to GLAZA’s Personnel Policies and Procedures.
GLAZA is an Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to fostering diversity in its staff and Board of Trustees. Applications are encouraged from all persons, regardless of their race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical/physical/mental condition, pregnancy/childbirth and related medical condition, age, marital status, or veteran status.
IMMEDIATE RESPONSE REQUIRED: To be considered for this position, applicants must email:
–Cover letter and