Special Events Assistant
Title: Special Events Assistant
Division: Special Events
Reports to: Special Events Manager
Status: Part-time, Temporary, Non-Exempt
Date: October 26, 2021
Under the direction of the Special Events Manager, the Special Events Assistant assists the full-time Special Events staff in coordinating various events as required and performs related administrative and clerical duties for Department staff as assigned. The role of the Special Events Assistant is to fully support other Department members who are leading events.
- Assists with implementing various public, private and GLAZA events. Duties may include coordinating with various divisions, volunteers, vendors, and hired entertainment.
- Assists with the event set-up and tear down of each event.
- Coordinates check-in/registration for events and assists with ticketing distribution.
- Assists with the organization’s largest annual fundraisers, the Beastly Ball and Walk for the Wild, providing overall administrative and logistical support.
- Helps coordinate with Marketing & PR and Sponsorship events, including press events and sponsorship activations.
- Participates in maintaining department databases, vendor lists, entertainment resources, and other information for ease of event planning.
- Assists with the creation and distribution of Activities Request Form for events and obtain signatures on Form.
- Assists with the development of master list of rentals, delivery, set-up, and tear-down schedules for events.
- Assists Department staff as necessary with implementing the entertainment program for events. Helps coordinate staging and audio-visual requirements
- Assists Department staff with data entry to ensure proper accounting for budgets, revenue, expenses, and event reporting. Helps track police, fire, liquor, insurance and other permits and certificates required for events.
- Creates files and stores back-up paperwork for events.
- Performs other duties, as required.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience, and at least one year of previous work experience, preferably in events or customer service industry.
- Interpersonal and communication skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of personnel, including GLAZA and Zoo staff, members, volunteers, donors, prospects, senior staff, the general public, outside vendors, corporations, foundations, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and complete work in a timely manner, despite competing requirements.
- Attention to accuracy and ability to maintain detailed records, logs, and other related information.
- General computer literacy and knowledge of various software programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher, Raiser’s Edge, and Adobe Pagemaker.
- Demonstrated ability to use various types of office equipment, such as copies, fax machines, printers, scanners, etc.
- Ability to understand and monitor event budgets and to assist with tracking expenses, invoices, and payments.
- Demonstrated ability to compose letters which are grammatically correct and properly formatted.
- Demonstrated skills in listening perceptively, conveying sensitivity and awareness, and the ability to maintain confidential materials.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and time constraints while remaining calm and maintaining a sense of humor. Ability to handle multiple tasks with effective follow-through.
- Ability to learn mail merge function to produce large volumes of correspondence.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated flexibility to work an irregular schedule, including early, late, and weekend events.
- Demonstrated ability to lift forty pounds using proper safety techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to routinely cover Zoo grounds on a daily basis.
- Possess a valid Class C Driver License and satisfactory driving record. May run errands related to Special Events.
GLAZA is hiring Special Events Assistants immediately!
To apply, email your resume to: [email protected]