Animal Health Care Volunteers & Externships
Thank you for your interest in volunteering and supporting the Los Angeles Zoo. Currently, recruitment for all volunteer programs is on hiatus while we employ safer at home practices. Once we are able to accept new volunteers again, this page will be updated with new opportunities and a link to apply online. Please check back in the Spring for updates and keep an eye on the Zoo’s social media and membership publications. We hope to have your support in the future.
Animal Health Care Volunteers
Animal Health Care volunteers assist animal health staff in the daily and preventative medical procedures for the animal collection. Volunteers will be assigned to areas that best meet their abilities, interests, and the needs of the animal health division and its staff. Assignments may include assisting vets and technicians with:
- Providing pre and post surgical care
- Administering medications
- Preparing animal diets
- Cleaning animal enclosures and/or holding areas
- Observing behavior
- Organizing, preparing, and collecting supplies and materials
To apply to the Animal Health Care Volunteer Program, please fill out the City Volunteer Application below and send it along with a resume, cover letter, and verification of vet-tech experience to the address listed on the application or to our fax at (323) 644-5311.
- Two years experience in a veterinary hospital, or in a zoo setting
- Certified technician a benefit, but not required
- Must be 18 years of age
- Enjoy working around animals
- Able to work well in a team and individually
- Open, flexible, and positive attitude
- Professional appearance
- Current TB test (within 6 months)
- Commit to a minimum of one six-hour day per week. Shifts start at 7:30 a.m.
- Complete Los Angeles Zoo City Volunteer Orientation (6 hours)
- Fingerprinting with the City of Los Angeles (to be scheduled by the Los Angeles Zoo). A social security number is required for fingerprinting.
Senior Veterinary Student Externship
Program currently closed to applicants.