Thank you for your interest in volunteering and supporting the Los Angeles Zoo. Currently, recruitment for all volunteer programs is on hiatus. Once we are able to accept new volunteers again, this page will be updated with new opportunities and a link to apply online. Please check back in the fall for updates and keep an eye on the Zoo’s social media and membership publications. We hope to have your support in the future.
General Volunteers help with a number of activities throughout the Zoo. Available assignments may include:
- Muriel’s Ranch (contact yard): One of the most popular attractions at the L.A. Zoo is Muriel’s Ranch, our contact yard. This is one of the few places visitors get the chance to touch and interact with animals. Goats, sheep, pigs, and a miniature horse roam the yard and volunteers play liaison between the animals and the patrons. It’s a great opportunity to learn about animals and interact with the public.
- Special Events: The L.A. Zoo hosts a number of special events throughout the year, such as Big Bunny’s Spring Fling, Boo at the Zoo, and Zoo Lights. Volunteers assist Zoo visitors with themed crafts, give-aways, photo opportunities, and directional assistance.
- Bird Show Greeter: The Angela Collier World of Birds Theater is a great opportunity for guests to learn about some of the unique adaptations birds have developed to succeed in their environment, as well as the important role they play in their ecosystems. Volunteers at the World of Birds Show help facilitate a fun bird show experience by welcoming and directing patrons.
- Qualifications: Anyone 16 years and over is welcome to apply. Applicants must enjoy working with children and adults of all ages.
- Required hours per year: 96
- Training: Two full days in the classroom and on-grounds.
- Special Requirements: For the safety of our visitors and animals, all volunteers must provide an annual negative tuberculosis test and must also be fingerprinted by the City of Los Angeles upon acceptance to the program.
For more information, please call (323) 522-9355 or send an email to [email protected].