Los Angeles Zoo Vision Plan Environmental Impact Report
The City of Los Angeles (City) Bureau of Engineering (BOE) has prepared a Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the proposed Los Angeles Zoo (Zoo) Vision Plan (Project) consistent with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
The Draft EIR analyzes the proposed Project’s effects on environment resources listed below.
- Aesthetics & Visual Resources
- Air Quality
- Biological Resources
- Cultural and Tribal Cultural Resources
- Urban Forestry Resources
- Geology & Soils
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Hazards & Hazardous Materials
- Hydrology & Water Quality
- Land Use & Planning
- Public Services
- Cumulative Impacts
Review the Draft EIR
The Draft EIR is available for review on BOE’s website at:
The City will consider all comments, written and verbal, in preparation of the Final EIR.
Comment on the Draft EIR
The Draft EIR public review period runs from December 17, 2020 to February 15, 2021.
All comments must be submitted in writing no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 15, 2021 by mailing or emailing (please include “LA Zoo Vision Plan EIR Comments” in the subject line), to:
Norman Mundy, Environmental Supervisor II
Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering, Environmental Management Group
1149 S. Broadway, Suite 600, Mail Stop 939
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Join Us for Virtual Public Meeting
Due to the ongoing public health crisis associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, a virtual public meeting will be held during the public review period to present the Draft EIR and hear verbal comments on the content of the EIR. Please join us on:
Wednesday, January 13, 5:30 pm
Virtual Meeting via Microsoft Teams
To join on your computer or mobile app, click here
Or call in (audio only)
Phone: +1 (213) 282-5170
Toll Free: (866) 670-1764
Conference ID: 794 373 847#
To provide verbal comments at the virtual public meeting, please register no later than Tuesday, January 12th, 2021 by emailing Norman Mundy at [email protected] (please include “LA Zoo Public Meeting Verbal Comment Registration” in the subject line).
The presentation from the public meeting will be recorded and available on-demand from links posted here and at https://eng.lacity.org/los-angeles-zoo-vision-plan.
The proposed Project would guide future development and modernization of the Zoo for the next 20 years. The proposed Project would include comprehensive redesign and redevelopment of the Zoo to replace outdated buildings and infrastructure and upgrade animal care and guest amenities. The proposed Project would result in the following:
- Expanded and revitalized immersive exhibits and Zoo animal habitats for improved animal welfare and the Zoo’s conservation and endangered species propagation and preservation programs.
- New and redeveloped visitor-serving facilities for enhanced visitor experience, including three visitor centers, picnic and restaurant locations, and internal circulation and walking paths.
- Expanded and modernized administrative and services facilities to support state of the art exhibits and upgraded visitor support facilities.
- Circulation improvements for access roads, pedestrian walkways and paths, an enhanced entry way and plaza, and new parking facilities.
- Environmentally sustainable design features within the Zoo’s built structure.
- Operational excellence of the Zoo.
- Expanded visitation by approximately 1.2 million guests per year, with commensurate increases in employment.
The Vision Plan provides guiding principles that would apply to future ongoing Zoo operations and redevelopment of Zoo buildings and infrastructure within nine themed boundaries, referred to as “planning areas”. Each planning area would include a common natural setting and program. Several planning areas reflect diverse regions of the planet (e.g., Africa), while others are intended to provide a common programmatic theme (e.g., Nature Play Park).
Proposed Zoo Planning Areas and Concept Design
Winter 2020/2021 – Draft EIR & Public Review
Summer 2021 – Final EIR, Response to Public Comments, Decision-maker Hearings