Learning & Engagement
Out of an abundance of caution, the Zoo has made the difficult decision to cancel on-site Education programming for Summer 2020, including Creature Camp Out overnights and Zoo Camp. While we hold these programs as close to our hearts as we know you do, our responsibility is to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. The health and safety of our staff, guests, and animals are our top priority. Even though we won't see you for camps and classes this summer, we are committed to bringing the zoo education experience to you by providing fun at-home activities for everyone to enjoy. For more on the Zoo’s COVID-19 response, click here.
The Education Division exists to support the L.A. Zoo’s mission of Nurturing Wildlife and Enriching the Human Experience.
Education runs through every area of the Zoo, connecting visitors with our conservation messages through a variety of fun, engaging programs, creating stewards of wildlife. The Education Division commits to developing programs that are accessible, purposeful, relevant, and that meet the needs of our diverse audiences and high educational standards.
The Los Angeles Zoo’s Education Division delivers programs that are enjoyable, educational, and inspirational. In this section you will find a list of current programs. We want you to come join us!
Virtual School Programs
Virtual School Programs bring the Zoo to your (virtual) classroom! Choose from our growing suite of programs designed to foster your students’ skills as scientists with the people and animals that can only be found at the L.A. Zoo.
Online Teacher Workshop
Adapting to the new virtual learning landscape has presented a unique challenge to all educators. The Los Angeles Zoo is adapting too, and we invite you to join us as we chart this new virtual course together. This one hour workshop will feature an in-depth, virtual discussion about our online learning resources, how they can support your efforts in your digital classroom, and what you would like our future resources to contain.
Zoo Camp is one of our favorite times of the year. This summer is a little different, but kids still need animals, adventures, and mentors to inspire them. We’re pleased to share Zoo Camplettes: four fun activity packs that each explore a different Zoo theme.
What we've been able to accomplish
- More than 3,000 children from underserved schools to enjoy an all-expenses paid field trip to the Zoo (ZooPals)
- More than 50 children to be awarded full scholarships for one week of Zoo Camp
- Eight high school students to participate in a real in-situ animal conservation field study programs
- The docent outreach program to reach more than 20,000 people in over 250 schools, libraries and special needs institutions
- Brotman Foundation of California
- BCM Foundation
- Duttenhaver Fund
- The Ella Fitzgerald Charitable Foundation
- Georgina Fredrick Children’s Foundation
- Joseph Drown Foundation
- Los Angeles Federal Credit Union
- Morrison & Foerster Foundation
- Mark Hughes Foundation
- Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Foundation
- Union Bank Foundation
- U.S. Bank
- William Randolph Hearst Foundation